Christmas

Tuesday, November 24, 2015

Is There a Normal?

What is normal? For me, it’s a changeable entity. When we first started this roller coaster ride, I wasn’t doing that badly, and I only viewed a swift decline in the distant future. Now, I’m not doing that well, and I realize that a decline can be close at hand.

I have so much trouble with steps that I was moved to living on the first floor. A twin bed was set up in the family room, and the powder room was turned into an accessible bathroom. Then, I just couldn’t sleep on the bed, so I moved to sleeping in an armchair. Huge mistake! My feet and legs have swelled so much. I also don’t walk enough anymore. I’m moved from chair to wheelchair and back. I need to start getting up and walking more. I know I can’t do it all at once, but every day, I try to do a little more.

At the height of my husband’s illness, my boys took turns staying at the house. In the middle of the night, I’d call them on their cells, and they’d come down to help me. No complaints were ever made – they were so giving and caring. Now, my husband and I are trying it alone, and we’re making it work.

I don’t want all of this to be my new normal. I need to try and get better. It will help me both physically and mentally. When I accomplish something, the frustration and sadness go away. 

On a side note, for those of you who knew Herrad Ford, she passed away last week. It’s so sad – she was such an inspiration!

Peace,

Muff 

10 comments:

  1. I will say a prayer for you muff. don't be too hard on yourself, just continue to try....it's all you can do.

    I hope you have a wonderful thanksgiving!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do try to do one extra thing every day. i feel accomplished when i succeed.

      Delete
  2. It is good to hear from you, you have been in my thoughts. Just do the best you can do. Once you get moved things should calm down to a new normal. I hope your husband continues to mend:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My wife was quietly fuming the other day as she makes sure I can puddle about the house in my wheelchair. "So, in seven, ten years, you may need a cane... Right..." Which is precisely what they told me when they gave me The Diagnosis.

    Nobody knows anything. And yet... we live, and live as best we can! Living well is a wonderful accomplishment--who cares if you live well from a bed or a wheelchair! No matter what happens--live well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i guess you're right, but i still want to do w/out the wheelchair.

      Delete
  4. And a friend of mine once said, "If it happens, it's normal." I don't know if I find that reassuring or not... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Times of such great stress take their toll. You are surrounded by a loving family so willing and able to help you. Let them now.

    ReplyDelete