Christmas

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Miss Practicality, Here!

I think I may feel a little better today. (Or maybe it’s wishful thinking!) Whatever. I did get showered and dressed, and I’m trying to put my mind on other things.

I started a list of furnishings in the house, and what I want to do with them. I don my practical hat and decide whether I’ll be keeping, donating, or tossing each piece. We’ll need furniture when we move, but certainly not the amount we own! I’m figuring my den/office here would do well in a second bedroom. We could buy a sleep sofa for overnight guests. Even so, this room has a lot of furniture, and it’s only about fifteen by fifteen! There’s a big wall unit which houses my desk and computer and has a nice upholstered desk chair. My printer sits on my paper cabinet, and that cabinet may not be a must-have. The wooden file cabinets look like furniture, and they hold a lot. The tall bookshelf may also have to go – the bookshelf/hutch top that sits on two file cabinets may have to suffice. The wing chair is a maybe. The kids’ table/chairs/cabinet have to go. There – I’ve completed a whole room!

I want to keep the living room furniture. It may not all fit, but some pieces are antiques, and I can’t let them go. The same goes for the dining room. I want my table/chairs, and I can store the leaves. Likewise, I need my small silver chest. The liquor cabinet and buffet can go. The hutch is built in, so it stays. The table/chairs/built-in benches in the breakfast room will probably stay in the house – they were made for that room. That hutch is up in the air – it’s a family heirloom, and I’m hoping my kids will want it. All of the family room furniture must go – love seat, chairs, four tables, a tall and one long bookcase. We’ll keep the TV cabinet and TV. That’s four more rooms I’ve finished!

I haven’t begun to inventory the second and third floors, and God help us, the basement! Also, none of this includes the extras – wall hangings, paintings, lamps, bric-a-brac. I just keep reminding myself that this must be done, and it keeps me in a practical frame of mind. Each day I add another room to the list, and by next week, it will be finished. I’m really closeting all my sentimentality; otherwise, I’d never complete the task.

Just call me Madame Practical!!

Peace,

Muff

9 comments:

  1. Multiple floors! Wow! Guy in a wheelchair (that'd be me) is quite blown away!

    I've been lightening my own load by giving things away. Feels really good, seeing their recipients smile!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The multiple stories is the main reason we must move. It's comical [almost] watching me climb them, and I won't invest in a stair glide if we won't be staying.
      I need to sit my family down and decide what [if any] items they want.

      Delete
  2. I have doing that exercise as well--if I move would these be worth the effort it would take to go with me? Lot's of things are not making the cut in my head but we shall see what happens when it is actually time to get rid of stuff!

    I once lived in a house that was one floor and an attic (no basement) and my place in Florida is one level--SO much easier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As much as I'll hate moving, the thought of all one floor keeps me moving forward!

      Delete
  3. Hi Muff - oh I know the down-sizing journey all too well. We did it before we moved here. It was freeing and also sad. Now, if we do have to leave here all that is done. Basically, what we have here is what we need. Still not sure of the plans. And I wanted you to know the infection is gone - I am all clear. I feel so relieved, blessed, humbled, and strong again. Amen. Go easy with the sorting etc...it will get done.
    Love Gail
    peace....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hooray -- no more infection! Now, stay well. I'm not looking forward to the move, so I understand your feelings.

      Delete
  4. I hope it's freeing, and it's feels like a fresh, uncluttered new start!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those feelings of being fresh and new will eventually win out!

      Delete
  5. I am trying to declutter some, maybe have a garage sale, I have some odd furniture that should be sold too! It is good to get in a frame of mind and to make a plan! :)

    ReplyDelete