Christmas

Friday, June 19, 2015

Friday Fragments

Another week torn from the calendar! Now for the brain dump…

On Again, Off Again: My daughter called in a flurry last night. She and her hubby had gotten backstage passes to see Paul McCartney tonight, and could we watch the boys. Of course, we said yes, despite the fact that it would wear me out. I love being with those little guys, but they’re active, and I get tired. So, I adjusted my schedule and planned for their stay. It was supposed to be both little ones tonight, and then she would pick up the younger one tomorrow since my husband is working. I’d keep the older one tomorrow, overnight, and Sunday. Then he’d go home after the Father’s Day dinner. Well, you know what they say about the best-laid plans. She called earlier to say that they decided to skip seeing Sir Paul [seriously?] and instead, they were taking the boys to Sesame Place. So, no visitors will be here. I’ll still get to see them on Sunday, though.

Father’s Day: I always host this dinner – I’ve been doing it forever. This year, the kids will help me a little more. We’re having spare ribs, done low and slow in the oven all day. I just rub on salt, pepper, dried onion, garlic powder, and brown sugar. I put them in at 200° for about seven to eight hours. A half hour before they’re finished, I spread barbecue sauce on them. The meat just falls off the bone. With the ribs, I’ll have a pasta salad, a vegetable dish, corn on the cob, and dessert. The salad is just farfalle with broccoli, wilted spinach, shredded carrot, cucumber, grape tomatoes, and Italian dressing. The vegetable dish is zucchini, yellow squash, carrot sticks, onion, garlic, brown sugar, cumin, salt, and pepper. I’m doing rice pudding and light cheesecake bars for dessert. My daughter’s vegetable garden is producing a lot of zucchini and broccoli, so those items will be very fresh! I still have to make the father’s Day card, but everything else is ready to go – that is ready for me to make!

Weather:  The really awful heat has let up a bit, but it’s still summery. It’s supposed to be warm tomorrow, and then we get the remnants of “Bill” on Sunday, with thunderstorms all day. Next week we’ll be in the 90s. Heat or not, I have things to do, so I may have to prepare for the aftermath of being outside. I’ll try to limit my exposure and maybe give into the cooling materials.

Shoe Issues, Again: I wear my new ‘orthopedic’ shoes any time I go somewhere. The only drawback is that they don’t have smooth soles, and my feet stick when I try to slide them. They’re also only for casual attire – I’d never wear them with a dress outfit. Hence, my new dilemma arises. I bought (online, of course) a dress pant outfit for the wedding we’re attending next Friday night. It’s a three-piece black and lace suit, and these shoes will not do. I’m thinking of getting little black slippers (think Totes travel slippers,) and gluing beading on them. I’ll be sitting, and who will see my feet? I could also go with black flip-flops glammed up, but then I’d really need a pedicure.

Books/TV: I’m enjoying The Glass Kitchen by Linda Francis Lee, and I’m almost finished. It’s funny, sad, and even a bit supernatural. It’s a story of sisters and perseverance. Plus – it includes recipes!! The next book waiting for me is Saving Grace, and then I’ll need to give the librarian a new list.
Some summer tv shows are popping up, so I’ll let them amuse me.

That’s all I’ve got for now.

Peace,

Muff  

8 comments:

  1. eeeeeek, i don't think i could ever pass on sir paul. i saw him once in concert and i will never forget it!!

    muff, you worry too much about what you're wearing. dress comfortable, be comfortable....i never think about it, peeps just want to be with you!!!

    have a fabulous weekend!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ouch! I didn't realize that I sounded so superficial! I'll work on it. I usually just blab about whatever's in my mind at the time. I'll get that filter back in place.

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a great father's day menu, my mouth is watering.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not to sound conceited, because I had help -- but it was super delicious!!

      Delete
  3. Oh I felt the same way when I kept my grandbaby, wears me out but it is a good tired I felt. What you cook sounds yummy. They are lucky to have good food like that.
    I get the shoe problems! You need slick shoes to slid feet along. Tennis shoes are hard for me to walk in, and cant wear them with dressy clothes. I did wear ballerina shoes in my wedding so you can find fancy flip flops or sandals. Let us know what you wear!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, being with the grandies is definitely a GOOD tired!
      I'll decide on the shoes, and 'll let you know how they work for your future reference.

      Delete