Thursday, August 20, 2015

All's Well

With my to-do list in hand, I set off to cook and bake, yesterday. In the back of my mind, though, I worried that I may have bitten off too much. Would I have the stamina to finish everything? Would fatigue take over and swamp me? Would I give up in frustration? So, it was with a bit of trepidation that I started.

First, I tackled the pie. BTW, I tasted it, and it’s yummy. I took a short cut and used a ready-made graham cracker crust. Then in my mixing bowl, I beat together 4 oz. of cream cheese (half a brick,) with a half-cup of sugar, and a third-cup of creamy peanut butter. When it was blended and creamy, I added 8 oz. of Cool Whip, then one and a half cups of chopped butterfingers. I added a bit of cool whip to the top, and I sprinkled on the remainder of the candy. Then, I covered it with plastic wrap, and it goes into the refrigerator until ready to serve. Easy!

Next, my husband boiled water for the pasta, while I gathered ingredients for the cookies. I used one and a half boxes of penne, so there would be plenty. Once cooked and drained, it went into a long baking dish. To it, I added the sauce, ricotta, and mozzarella. I just baked it covered for twenty minutes, so I could finish it tonight. The meatballs got mixed, and they’re now in the slow cooker with sausage. I have salad ingredients and Italian bread for the sides.

Finally, I whipped up the cookies and got them baked. The little boys can decorate them after dinner. When I look at it all, it seems like a lot of work. But I had my husband by my side all along. He can get ingredients for me, put things away, follow my directions, and remind me when I need to stop and rest. That last one is so important, and I often overlook it. I always feel fatigue when it’s too late. When my husband sees that enough time has passed, he gets me into the family room and has me rest for a while. It makes a world of difference.

I held up! I didn’t go limp like the pasta! I was never at the point where I felt like I was too tired to go on. Those little breaks, and doing everything slowly got me through with no exhaustion. My husband napped in his chair, but I felt great! So, all is well. I’m ready for our dinner tonight, and despite more muscle pain (another story!), I’m looking forward to seeing everyone.


P.S. With having the little guys for their sleepover, Friday Fragments will be replaced by Monday Medley again. 


  1. oh muff, i just made eggplant parm and i feel like i am going to die, really!!! i don't know how you do all this. i had a seizure on monday, i feel today and i am ready for bed. the heat is really oppressive and i have not left the house or the a/c.....and i am all jumbled!!!

  2. Oh, Deb, I'm so sorry this beast is getting to you. Actually, if my dear husband didn't help me, I'd never be able to do any of this! Even if I stay indoors, I somehow still feel the heat and humidity, or maybe I just think I do. You, yourself, do so much -- traveling all over, shore, fairs, knitting, photography -- I can't believe all YOU accomplish! Please get well, soon. Your new mantra: Just a few more weeks until it cools down!

    1. thanks muff, still not feeling well, going very easy!!!