Christmas

Friday, July 31, 2015

Friday Fragments

Time again for some brain cleaning and organizing!

Finished Decision: A while ago, I ‘fessed up that I really didn’t want to downsize, and I’d rather stay here in my home. Unfortunately, that was a mere pipe dream. My family has finally convinced me that it just isn’t feasible. There would have to be so many changes to make the house accessible for me. Then, when it would have to be sold eventually, those changes may have to be reverted to the original. I’m not just talking about a stair glide and outdoor ramp, but the reality would involve widening some doorways (in/out of the kitchen, the powder room, vestibule, master bedroom and bath,) and possibly tearing down walls. Right now, I’m handling it all right, but the writing is on the wall that I will continue to decline. So, we’re getting the last of some necessary improvements made, and it will soon be on the market. [*sigh*] It was good while the dream lasted, but I have to get a grip and move forward.

Visit: When we go to my sister-in-law’s home this afternoon, I will have to struggle a bit. The ride to PA isn’t long – maybe fifty minutes without traffic. However, we’ll travel part of the way on the dreaded Schuylkill Expressway, which is always backed up at some point. Plus the PA Turnpike is undergoing construction. So, we’ll allow some extra time. My SIL moved into a senior-living facility after her husband died, and she has sliding doors to her first-floor patio. Getting in is easy, but I’ll need the chair, and then I need to maneuver that monstrosity among the furniture. The bathroom visits are also fraught with danger since I can’t move around easily. But I’m determined to make it work.

Alternate Recipe Explained: When I gave the recipe for my peach dessert, I mentioned cooking the peaches. That step was in one of the recipes, but I didn’t feel like doing it. If you like sweet, syrupy peaches, then try it. I was also afraid of all that liquid seeping into the cream mixture, which could deflate it. Sometime, if it’s just for us, I may try it, and I’ll let you know the results. I’ll also reveal how it goes over with my in-laws.

Back-to-School:  I’ve been seeing these ads for a few weeks now, and I often get annoyed. It’s still July, and the stores want to lure in parents with all these sales. I’m glad I’m not teaching anymore because those ads signal the end of vacation time.  I used to be designing my bulletin boards now, and planning a trip to the education center where I’d use their Ellison cutters to make my letters and cut-outs. Once they were finished, I’d divide them in plastic baggies for each board – I had ten! Then I’d wait for a cool-ish day in August, and I’d go to school and get everything up on the cork. I miss many things from my days in academia, but doing that chore isn’t one of them.

Books: I finished The Supreme Macaroni Company, and I enjoyed it. I had forgotten how Adriana Trigiani can weave the comical among some real sadness. She gives such great examples of human nature with all its prejudices and pathos. Now I’m speeding through Harlan Coben’s The Stranger, and it’s great.

That’s all I have for this week. Have a great weekend.

Peace,

Muff

6 comments:

  1. we NEED to move also muff, but i just can't see it happening. we have talked about just updating the downstairs which has an extremely open floor plan, we would just have to add a first floor bedroom!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our first floor is 'fairly' open, and we have the den here, which could be a bedroom. But why have the other two floors and basement, if I can't use them? I think a new, smaller place is the reality for me, now. Sad, but true. I'm trying to get enthused about it. Yay!

      Delete
  2. I know a move is in my future, especially once I'll be alone. We've already downsized from house to condo 14 years ago. Now it's likely to be senior living facilities. Why can't I seem to muster enthusiasm tor that? Hmmmm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it will be a retirement place for us, too. I'm trying to think positively, but after so many years here, it's hard. I need a good old pep rally!

      Delete
  3. For! Why can't I see the typo until it's posted? I wish there was an editing feature.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Remember -- I have built-in auto-correct. I see the word that's supposed to be. So don't fret -- it's all good.

      Delete