Christmas

Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Downsizing? Right!

As I’ve mentioned soooo many times, we’re supposed to be downsizing – getting rid of much of the detritus accumulated over many years in the same house. Once that is finished, we’ll do some repair/renovation work, sell the old homestead, and move to a smaller, more efficient place. On paper, it all sounds so easy, but trust me, it’s not. We have taken a few steps in the right direction, but the idea as a whole, is overwhelming. I’d much rather put my energy into redecorating, even if it is impractical.

Because our little guys spend time here, some of my redesigns involve them. Our family room has a play area, even though that area usually extends over the entire room. I removed the DVDs that were stored in the cabinet of the TV table and arranged them on the bookcase shelves. Then I used the cabinet space to store toys in baskets. The boys know where the toys are, and they pull them out quickly. Sometimes, they even put them away! I don’t care if they mess things up; it can be always be cleaned. I’d rather they enjoy their little games.

Here, in the den, I removed a desk to make room for the crib/changing table when the boys were babies. Then, we moved that furniture to an upstairs bedroom to be used at nighttime. In that now-empty area, we got a little table and two small chairs. The boys do all their arts and crafts there.  I have a section in my paper cabinet where I store extra paper for their use. I also have a little rolling cabinet with five drawers to store all their supplies – scissors, tapes, crayons, markers, paints, stapler – anything to help them create their masterpieces. Again, it’s usually a wreck when they leave, but I don’t care. Their having fun is more important to me.

Now, I’m getting ready to redo two bedrooms. The one with the crib will become the boys’ room. I’m having my ‘big’ boys dismantle the crib to be stored at my daughter’s home. (If another baby ever arrives, it can always be assembled again.) I’m keeping the walls white, but I’m introducing a nautical theme with navy and white and a few red accents. I’ll have anchors, lighthouses, sailboats, and steering wheels as wall hangings and the boys’ names over their twin beds. It’s not a huge room, but I think it will work perfectly.

Then there’s the front bedroom, which was first my daughter’s room, then my mother’s. Right now, the room is papered – mauve on the lower half, beige with mauve flowers on the upper half. As a middle and top border, there are the same colors in a border pattern. I like the mix of colors, but not the paper. So, I’ll have the wallpaper removed and paint the lower half in the same mauve color. The upper half will be pale gray, and a simple design – maybe a chair rail – will go between. Instead of a permanent bed, I want a medium gray sleep sofa that can be converted to a double or queen bed when guests arrive. The rest of the furniture will stay.

So, those are my latest plans. Downsizing? Oh, sure!

Peace,

Muff         

8 comments:

  1. i'm exhausted...i need a nap ;)

    hehehehehe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha-ha! You must understand that when I say "I" or "We", it translates to: "Other People!"

      Delete
  2. I don't think your heart is in that down sizing thing at all!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Olga. But, look on the bright side. If you did downsize, you'd have decorating projects!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just keep thinking that such jobs would be needed if we stay or go. Well, sort of, anyway!

      Delete
  4. After much contemplation and consideration, we have decide NOT to downsize. I love my house, I love my neighbourhood. I am going with my heart, not my head. I may regret it as the years go by, but right now, we are concentrating our efforts on gearing our home to our needs as we age, and as the MS progresses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I so understand what you are saying. I would much rather update this house to accommodate our needs; however, I just need to push this idea on others.

      Delete