Christmas

Tuesday, May 26, 2015

A Wild Week

Usually I spend my days indoors, doing very little. That all changes this week! On Sunday, I did more than I’ve done for a while. We went to church and the weather was very nice. The flowers at our church are stunning. They begin in the spring with tulips, hyacinths, and crocus. Then, as those die out, new blooms begin. Each time one set of flowers starts to wilt, a new one appears. The azaleas were absolutely gorgeous. Last Sunday, one set of roses came into bloom, and we just had to stop to admire the beauty.

When we came home, we sat to rest for a bit, then packed up the pasta salad and headed south. I read in the car, and the time goes quickly. Everyone stayed inside because the kids were keeping cool. The men folk, of course, had to gather round the campfire, [barbecue.] My SIL updated his outdoor kitchen, so there was much oohing and ahhing out there. He had a fire pit installed, so roasted marshmallows will be a favorite this summer. On Sunday, he was grilling hamburgers, turkey burgers, tofurkey sausages, ginormous shrimp (marinated in mango salsa,) and corn. My daughter made a spicy watermelon salad, which we had seen on “The View,” and which I am making tomorrow. There was homemade ice cream for dessert. People ate wherever they wanted – out on the deck, at the kitchen island, or in the dining room. The kids ate quickly and got back to serious play. We headed home before the sun set, and I was totally exhausted.

The fatigue resulted from too many stairs. I had gone down and up our back steps in the morning. Then, my daughter has five steps up from their garage to the mudroom. (I use that entrance because it’s the easiest, but it’s still tricky and tiring.) With the moving around and the noise, I started to dissolve. Then, I had to climb our stairs again when we arrived home. I sat for a long time, but I still had trouble going up the stairs to bed.

Yesterday, I rested in the morning, and then we drove to the stores to get graduation gifts for the one little guy, an end-of-school gift for the other, and anniversary gifts for my daughter and SIL. The sun was hot, but there was no humidity, and gentle breezes cooled us. I struggled with the outside steps, but I was fine going to bed. Today, I’ll repeat that pattern, as I want/need a top for tomorrow.  I also have to wrap these gifts (just gift bags, tissue, and ribbons,) and make the cards.

Tomorrow, though, will be the doozy. I have to get up early (6:00) so I’ll have time to shower, dress, makeup, meat in slow cooker, and be on the road before 8:00. I’m hoping the ceremony won’t be too long, but I’ll survive as long as the A/C keeps going. We should be back by lunchtime or early afternoon.  I’ll get things ready for my big boys’ dinner, and we’ll enjoy their visit.

Thursday will be my nothing day, and I’ll relax. On Friday, I have to make desserts for a celebration of our pastor’s twenty-fifth anniversary on Sunday. Then, I’ll rest again on Saturday. That’s what I call a whirlwind week. Think I can do it? Well, I’ll try.

Peace,

Muff 

8 comments:

  1. be careful muff, that's a lot but i hope you can enjoy everything!! i have started to decline a few invitations i have received, it's too hot and i just can't do too many days in a row!!!

    the weekend was so hot and i just went out to get the mail and it's a scorcher today!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean about the heat and activities. It's such a bummer!!

      Delete
  2. Whirlwind, indeed, but full of nice things. I wish I could send you a life-size bubble of cool air to protect you from the heat. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you ever find that bubble, I'll gladly take it!!

      Delete
  3. I see that you have some rest mixed in with all the activities. I think it is wonderful that cooking brings you joy .We had 20's on Saturday and 80's today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to read that twice!! 20s?? Yikes -- we think it's a cool down when it dips to the 60s at this time of year!

      Delete
  4. I count the stairs also to know which is the easiest way! I love the kind of tired you have from being with family etc. hope the rest helps

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right? Counting steps! Who ever thought we'd do that?

      Delete