Christmas

Monday, April 6, 2015

Eventually, It All Works Out

My poor husband got really bad last Friday. He could hardly stand for a few seconds, and his walking meant more pain. I asked him if he wanted me to cancel our Easter dinner, but he adamantly refused. He tried, in vain, to help me with my dinner prep, but together we managed, and I finished all that was on my list. On Saturday morning, he decided to go back to the doctor, who said it was severe sciatica. He gave him a prescription for a steroid and different pain killers. He spent the entire day either sitting and napping or up in bed. Needless to say, that was my first priority, but I had my Saturday list that wasn’t getting completed.

At the same time, this “thing” I have really wasn’t getting better. I was hacking away and my throat and chest hurt. This left me so weak that I needed to just sit for long periods. At night, my husband-in-pain had to help me upstairs because my feet were too shaky to manage the steps. We looked like some old, crippled seniors! Nothing got finished on Saturday, so I just trimmed my list. I wouldn’t make the candies or cookies I planned, and I couldn’t get out to buy flowers. Now, my old self would have been in a tizzy over such changes, but the new me just said, “Whatever.”

For the first time in my life, I didn’t go to church on Easter – the holiest day of the year! My husband was scheduled for his ministry role, but I contacted my girlfriend who was scheduled with him, and I asked if she would get someone from the congregation to take his place. Since the littler guy was also getting over a cold, my daughter, too, decided not to meet us at church. It felt so weird being at home on Easter morning.

With my husband sitting, I managed to get a few things done. Then the gang arrived, and my kids jumped in to help. (I really am blessed with these three!) The little guys loved their baskets, and they dove right into the candy! My daughter had them dressed really cute – she even got them little straw fedoras! The younger one was cranky and didn’t want his picture taken, but we managed to sneak in a few. My one son took over KP with me by his side. This teamwork we have seems to work well. The only thing I needed to subtract from the menu was the peas. Everything else turned out well, and we had a good time.


Today, my husband said he’s much better (I think he’s lying,) and I still have this plague. I’m up half the night coughing, and I think this is more than a cold. If I’m not better, I’ll bite the bullet and see the doctor tomorrow. My husband said we’re getting sick/hurt because we’re getting old. I told him to stick a sock in it! But we’ll both just rest today and see if things improve.

Peace,

Muff

12 comments:

  1. such a bummer muff!! be careful, it could be pneumonia!!! i've had it three times and it really wreaks havoc on my MS!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know it's not pneumonia -- been there, done that many moons ago! This is just a bad cold that I need to patient with and let it take its course.

      Delete
  2. Ya, old age is not pretty. Hubs and I are starting to look a bit like a couple of old farts! Take care of yourself Muff, Debbie is right, pneumonia and MS are a nasty combo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still maintain that age is a number, and you can stay young by not giving in to all the elder problems. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

      Delete
  3. I'm so glad Easter worked out, even if trimmed a bit. As for getting old, I was sort of ready for that. After all, it is inevitable. But to age, be seriously infirm, and on top of that have a "thing" is beyond the pale. I hope both you and hubby find solutions soon. Cause it ain't fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be pulled kicking and screaming into old age! I barely gave in to "middle" age, but the next step is more than I can bear! [Peter Pan complex?]

      Delete
  4. Hi Muff - hope you are both better soon. Together, you managed as best you could. Such love ...
    Gail
    peace.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our 'managing' is a result of team work. As long as we both remain level-headed and patient, we can take on the world!

      Delete
  5. Hope you don't have that crud that lingers for weeks. Rest and drink lots of fluids:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thinking of your "crud," but I'm pretty sure it's not that. Getting the rest, but have to watch that more fluids bit -- I already run to the potty more than I want!

      Delete
  6. That cough thing sounds like what went around the neighborhood here throughout the winter. Hope you both are on the mend and back to your regular pace soon, In the meantime, take good care of yourselves. There is no shame in resting when you need to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know a lot of people were sick with it, but I hate being one of them! I'm never ashamed of resting -- I wallow in it!

      Delete