Christmas

Thursday, February 12, 2015

Success!!

It’s strange the way I measure success nowadays! In my ‘former life,’ I’d be successful if I executed a lesson plan well, and my students learned and understood a concept. If I chaired a committee, I’d feel accomplished if a team worked well together and the desired objective had been achieved. At home, if my house was neat and clean, my projects underway, and meals satisfying, I could pat myself on the back. Now, with my new normals, success takes on a new meaning.

Yesterday, I felt successful, and I didn’t do all that much. I spent Tuesday afternoon preparing minestrone soup in the slow cooker. It was a fairly easy project, but a bit time-consuming. My husband helps me with the chopping and slicing, and I can handle the rest. However, since the soup has zillions of ingredients, I needed to take my time and go step by step. The longer it cooks, the better it tastes, so I knew I’d be doing more yesterday. Once it began to bubble in the pot on the stove, I could smell its savory goodness, and I knew all was well.

In the same vein, I made slow cooker pasta sauce and meatballs yesterday. The directions are super simple, so once I could see everything coming together, I felt successful. I even decided to make red velvet cookies. I used a cake mix, added 6 tablespoons of melted butter and two eggs. It mixed easily, and formed a stiff dough. Then there’s the spooning and molding into one inch balls, a drenching in powdered sugar, and into the oven they went. After ten minutes I had cute crackled red cookies. The boys loved all the food, and I felt like a huge success.

Another victory yesterday was my trip to the hairdresser. She helps me in and out of the chair because of the footrest. But I walked fairly briskly to and from the shampooing area, and I was able to do it all with little fatigue! Such movements cut my   time there by a half hour!! My quick trip to the powder room was uneventful, and I was able to label the visit a success.

Even my trip to the toy store went well. I got everything I needed for the little guys’ valentine gifts in a very short amount of time. By the time we arrived back at Chez Muff, I was just a little weary, but I didn’t collapse with fatigue! Our Italian dinner was a total success, and we had a great time with the boys. They want me to try Poland as our next port of call. I’m neither Spanish, Italian, nor Polish, but I’m willing to give it all a try.

So, now, I consider myself successful in very little things. I don’t need a huge agenda, nor do I require many projects. If I just do the everyday chores well, then, for me, that’s success!!

Peace,

Muff

12 comments:

  1. Hi Muff - "YAY!!! I celebrate your successes with you. I so understand. I too have adjusted to my abilities and find success in basic simple things liket aking a shower on my own, and preparing a simple meal and getting in and out of the car and up a curb or a few stairs. Freedoms!! I have my hairdresser appointment tomorrow. I always feel 'normal' when I get in and out and around with confidence. I am grateful for every step, every freedom, every dignity. Stay warm
    Love Gail
    peace.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean about being around other 'normal' people -- it's uplifting.

      Delete
  2. Congratulations! You make me feel as if I had accomplished all those things. Great feeling!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know you've had these highs, too, so we celebrate together.

      Delete
  3. i'm soooo happy that you had a good day. you really did a lot!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did do a lot, but I didn't feel bad afterwards -- YAY!!

      Delete
  4. It sounds like a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another great meal with your boys! If you ever do Finland you could make Flat bread and Soup :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes I feel very accomplished when I make a meal. Congrats for the little accomplishments!

    ReplyDelete