Christmas

Friday, January 30, 2015

Friday Fragments

Another week has come and gone, and it’s time for more drivel.

Weather:  Well, after that big ‘mistaken prediction,’ things settled down. I’ve seen the devastation in New England, though, and my heart goes out to those poor people. We had another brief clipper last night, but there’s nothing to show from it. The meteorologists are starting to lay the groundwork for another potential biggie on Sunday into Monday. I’ll believe it when I see it! Spring is only about 50 days away, but the groundhog still has to make his annual prediction on Tuesday.

Dreams: For some reason, I’ve been having more vivid dreams. If I keep the thought of them in my mind when I’m waking up, I can usually review the whole thing. Last night had to do with an exercise program with which I was involved. I laugh now when I picture all the movement I had! I also had to address some people (they were a combination of old school friends, old work associates, and present day friends.) My oration involved telling the assembled group that the gym/spa where we were was not worth the money we were spending. In the dream, I even had a personal trainer – he was the husband of a teacher I knew! I have no idea of its significance, but it sure was an interesting dream session!

Choking: MS has caused me to be very aware of how I swallow. I think the disease killed a nerve there and, at times, I begin to choke. It seems as if my swallowing place has moved. I know that sounds crazy, but it’s the only way I can describe it. I’ve always had a fear of actually choking, and I think the phobia came from my father’s panic whenever anything went down our “wrong pipe.” He never allowed us to have nuts until we were quite a bit old – maybe in our teens. He always said that nuts were like rocks, and they never dissolved. He really believed one would get lodged in our windpipe. Thus, I never allowed my own children to have nuts, either. Now, my daughter allows her two to have them all the time. She also lets them have hot dogs, which I think really are a choking hazard.

Weekend: We have no Super Bowl parties to attend this year, so our weekend should be quiet – what else is new! I really want to work on some things around the house, though, so I’ll have plenty of time to do it. I still haven’t finished those wreaths I wanted to make, and my desk needs some reorganizing. I’m in the mood for new window treatments, and I’m looking for some big sales in sheer curtains. The lacy ones I have now are passé, and the valances need replacing.

Hermit, cont.: I still haven’t been going outside. Last Sunday I went to church, but that only means leaving at 10:00 and returning by noon. Staying at home, I rarely get dressed up in any way – just a daily dose of slacks/jeans and sweatshirts. Last year, since we visited my mom every day, I wore turtlenecks and sweaters all the time. This year I don’t bother. I also don’t wear shoes inside – socks sometimes, but no shoes. My feet continue to swell, making covering them painful. I don’t like making myself homebound, though, so I must think of things to get me out and moving.

Books/TV:  As I mentioned last week, Leaving Time is fantastic, and I’m getting into Chris Bohjalian as well. I’m starting to compile a new list of things I want to read.
Sunday nights were one of my favorites for shows, but I’ll have to wait until after the Super Bowl and Grammys in order to see those shows again. Thursday nights are back, so I have those shows recorded and ready for tomorrow.

That’s it for now.

Peace,

Muff

8 comments:

  1. I am so grateful my dreams invariably portray me as able-bodied! It means I haven't forgotten what that's like. As for nuts, I once had a very scary episode with a walnut fragment; literally, thought I wasn't going to make it. A sharp edge seemed to be about to puncture my windpipe. But, I love nuts and just am more careful to chew well before swallowing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I, too, dream that I walk, run, dance, and do everything I used to do. [Then I wake up. ;>] Yikes, how scary with the walnut. How did you prevent it?

      Delete
  2. i am not missing the winter weather. It is easy to be nostalgic about a cozy snuggle by the fire while the wind howls and the snow swirls, but the reality sets in all too soon. And dirty snow and slush is not at all pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OK, now I'm jealous! I try not to think about the warmer climes when I'm staring at slush!

      Delete
  3. thanks! nice to find a dose of regular life! it's not always all about illness, is it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do try to write about things other than MS, even though it consumes much of my life!

      Delete