Springtime

Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Wednesday Wanderings

trackingwonder.com
I’m still searching for interesting topics. So, I’m left with my brain droppings. Sorry!

Bertha:  She’s my mother’s roommate. During the six years that my mother has resided in this home, she has had many roommates, and they all died. For a while, they had my mother alone. She isn’t aware of her surroundings, so she doesn’t care who lives with her. This new one is a doozy. She’s a real Miss Crabby Apple. I’ve tried to have conversations with her, and I always smile, but she doesn’t seem to respond well. Her mind is fine. She constantly brags that she’s 90 and sharp as a tack. Physically she does well, too. She uses a seat walker, but she moves along just fine. I think she would prefer to be alone in her room, but 1. It’s too expensive, and 2. They want her out mingling with others. My problem comes when I try to ‘sneak’ into their bathroom. My mother’s other roommates never minded, but this one treats me like a pariah. I hate to use the public rest room because it’s so inaccessible. There are no grip bars, the stall door opens out, and there are large spaces of emptiness, where I always fear I’ll fall. My husband helps me, but it’s awkward. The bathroom in the room is so easy to use. Once Bertha knew I used it, she began showing up, crossing her arms on her chest, and glaring at me. I try to time my visits when she’s at an activity, but lately, she just shows up. I guess I’ll have to go back to using the public one, but I wish I could stay with my mother’s instead.

Thursday’s Dinner:  Since St. Patty’s Day is next Monday, I decided to do an Irish theme. I’m making an Irish beef stew, but instead of Guinness, I’ll substitute wine. [I don’t like beer.] Then I’m making a Bailey’s Irish Cream Pie – this will also be for Friday, which is Pi Day (3.14…) I may make some Irish candy potatoes, but I make them differently. My kids don’t like coconut, so I leave it out. Then I combine cream cheese, butter, and powdered sugar to form the ‘potato.’  Instead of the cinnamon, I mix cocoa and powdered sugar for the ‘peel.’ They look like little potatoes, but they include ingredients we like.

Soup:  Prior to the Lenten Service that I composed, they want to have another soup night, and I said I’d make a pot. My tomato basil was a big hit when I made it for a few years. The vegetarian minestrone didn’t go over as well. Then I made a cream of shrimp that everyone liked. I’m thinking of doing a cream of asparagus this time. Since the date is always a Friday, the soups must be meatless. I’m going through recipes now, but I have a month to decide.

Winter Returns:  Yesterday was gorgeous – sunny with temps in the 60s. I just wanted it to last forever. Unfortunately, it begins to get messy with rain overnight and possibly snow by morning, and temps in the 20s and 30s. After that, it’s up and down for a week. Just typical March weather. I can’t wait until spring arrives to stay!

Peace,

Muff

11 comments:

  1. Wonder what would happen if you paid the roommate a dollar every time you used the bathroom? Just hand it to her and say thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She'd have no use for money, but I had thought of 'bribing' her with things -- hand lotion, cookies, a fancy handkerchief. I'll give it a try. Thanks for the suggestion.

      Delete
  2. I never heard of Irish candy potatoes before. i will have to look that up.
    How much is your mom paying for her room which includes the shared bathroom--enough so she could offer the amenity to her daughter, I am quite certain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember Irish potatoes from childhood. Maybe it's a local tradition? I agree that I have a right, via my mother, to use the bathroom, but obviously Bertha doesn't agree.

      Delete
  3. I hope that if and when I turn 90, my life will not consist of standing guard outside my bathroom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's sad, really, because some of these older people have no one in their lives. I keep thinking that if I could bring her some 'sunshine,' she might become less grumpy. So far, it hasn't happened.

      Delete
  4. is mother nature confused or angry!! i love that you love to cook, me too these days!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think her hormones are out of whack!! I'm not only loving my cooking more, but I'm enjoying trying new things!

      Delete
  5. Muffie, You are paying for your Mother's half of the room and, thus, the use of the bathroom. Own that entitlement, and remind the roommate if she crosses her arms and/or complains. For god's sake, don't give in and walk the Yellow Mile to the public bathroom. That's my opinion, and I am sticking to it.

    My Mom always made corned beef and cabbage for St. Patrick's Day, but your menu sounds better to me.

    Ooh, since asparagus is in season, that sounds like a winner to me!

    Will your Winter ever end? Such strange weather this year for you, too. I hope our wet February and March will give way to a warm and dry Spring and Summer. Not too hot, and not too cold.

    Be well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'll just keep trying until management says to stop!
      Actually, corned beef is Jewish -- the Irish made ham with cabbage. (I learned this from one of our tour guides.) Then, it became so ingrained in people's minds that it was Irish, that they just adopted it! The cuisine there now (in better restaurants) is very continental and delicious.
      I hope your rainy season leads to a bright and beautiful spring!

      Delete
    2. A Public Bathroom in a Nursing Home that is not handicap accessible?? Seems like an accident waiting to happen.
      Good luck with Bertha...maybe she likes chocolate!
      Hope you are getting spring!

      Delete