Springtime

Friday, March 21, 2014

Friday Fragments


Is it Friday? Why yes, yes it is! Another busy week behind me, and I’m trying to get back to my routine.


Sitting:  Why do they call it babysitting when you really don’t have time to sit? We traveled down and picked up the little guys on Monday, and they chattered away on the ride back. Once inside, we split them up – Poppy plays with the little one, and I take the older one to do crafts. Dinner was pasta and sausage, and then back to playing. Bedtime went easily for both, and we were rested enough to repeat it all on Tuesday. We were old pros, albeit tired ones by Wednesday. The plan had been to take them back to the daddy for his time. However, when we arrived, he asked if we he could drop them off on Thursday so he could see his tax accountant here in NJ. So, we had one more day of fun and games. My big boys couldn’t make it for dinner, but the daddy and little ones stayed. I made Chinese – cashew chicken and General Tso’s – and it was really good. The little boys wanted pancakes, so we made them, too. Now I have four days to ‘rest’ until our next adventure with them!

Surgery:  My daughter’s operation went well, but she’s very sore. The daddy got two big recliners from storage and she sits on one in the family room, and sleeps on one in her bedroom. It’s going to be a slow recovery, and we’re trying to help as much as we can. The little guy made her candy flower lollipops – they were so cute, but I forgot to take photos. The smaller one went to the shop with Poppy and bought some real flowers to cheer her up. We made cards, too. She was happy when they showered her with gifts, kisses, and chatter. They really don’t understand that this is a big “ouchie,” so it’s hard to explain that they can’t climb on her.

Mom: In the meantime, once the little guys came, I had to rely on phone calls to my mother’s nurses at the hospital. She did really well! For once, she ate well, responded to questions, and healed quickly. She returned to her nursing home yesterday, and we’ll visit her there. I can’t say enough about the friendly and professional way we were treated by the staff at the hospital. From doctors to nurses to admissions to social workers – each was a pleasure to work with.  

Birthday Dinner: Monday is my son’s birthday, and we’ll celebrate it on Sunday. I’m just making homemade pasta sauce with fusilli and meatballs and sausage. I’ll get a cake at the bakery because I’m too tired to try and make anything decent. Since daughter and family won’t be able to come, the number at the table will be small, but we’ll have fun anyway. My two boys have birthdays nine days apart, so I’ll be repeating the activity two weeks later. He already ordered lamb (yuck) as his meal.

March Madness: Yes, I get caught up in it! My beloved St. Joe’s went down last night in OT, after doing so well in regulation time. But my second favorite – Villanova – won big. I love the excitement of college hoops. In high school, after our own Friday basketball games, we’d go to the ‘party house’ of the week and watch our “Big Five” teams play because we usually knew the families of many players.

Books: I haven’t had much time to read, but I really enjoyed The Husband’s Secret. Next is The Interestings, which I hope to finish by Monday. My TV shows got DVRed in order to see all the kiddie listings!

That’s it…

Peace,
Muff

P.S. Thank you for all your comments – sorry I couldn’t leave any on your blogs – too much kiddie stuff going on!

10 comments:

  1. Keeping those grandsons sound so fun, I say that is good kind of tired:) glad your mom is doing good also

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Soon, you'll be enjoying such fun times with the grands!

      Delete
  2. I'm exhausted just reading this!! You are such a good grandma, I hope your daughter does well!!

    And hoops, who would have known!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really, it's not that tiring when you plan and organize. I learned that the hard way in different venues and circumstances, but I'm rarely tired anymore after watching them.
      And, yes, I do love college bball!!

      Delete
  3. I'm glad you had such a good time with your grandies. I hope your daughter heals quickly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We'll be having time with them again this week!!!

      Delete
  4. The Interestings is on my list. You sound super busy--in a very good way, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far, I'm enjoying the book. The busyness can be handled when I plan ahead.

      Delete
  5. I'm glad both your mother and your daughter are recovering well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Judy! They're both improving greatly!

      Delete